Handsontable documentation gets a major refresh
In a large boost to the Handsontable developer experience, we’re proud to present a revamped version of our documentation portal. Find out what’s new!
We revamped the documentation portal’s visuals:
- Table of contents on the right-hand side: get an overview of every page at a single glance.
- Clear composition: your screen real estate is put to good use.
- Responsive design: explore the documentation on your device of choice, in portrait or landscape mode.
Your tired eyes will love it: discover the Handsontable documentation dressed in the new dark theme.
Content structure overhaul
It’s not just bells and whistles—we took care of the content as well:
- New information architecture: we redesigned the information structure from the ground up, so you can focus on what matters.
- Guides vs API reference: the carefully written implementation guides and the automatically-generated API reference now live in two separate sections.
- Linguistic check: native English speaker or not, you’ll now find our documentation easier to read.
Better search engine
The search is now at the heart of our documentation:
- First of all, it’s blazing fast!
- It’s more accurate.
- Search results are clearly grouped into the guides section and the API reference section.
New documentation tool stack
Most of it all is possible thanks to our new documentation engine, based on VuePress:
- The whole portal is now built as a single-page application (SPA), which boosts the performance—everything just clicks.
- You can easily build the documentation locally.
- On our side, we can now write in Markdown. For us, it makes the Handsontable documentation easier to maintain. For you, it means more frequent updates and more accurate content.
Code and preview tabs
Code examples get an upgrade in their own right:
- Code samples now sport Handsontable previews right next to them.
- You can easily switch between the code samples and the preview, using tabs.
While working on the update, we couldn’t resist bringing in some new goods along the way:
- A whole new section with examples covering real-life use cases.
- A new page dedicated to security.
- More information on Handsontable’s IME support.
- Our versioning policy description.
- A brand-new “Hello, world!” app (which actually does a lot more than say hello).
If this sounds like a lot, brace yourself—there’s more on the way:
- More examples.
- More new content.
- More frequent updates, also independently from the software update cycle.
- More rewrites and language improvements.
We hope you like it and stay tuned for more!